Poor digestion is a common problem to many people, it causes constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating and nausea just to mention but a few. These digestive problems are very unpleasant and can be avoided or even reduced by improving your digestive health. Below are the best possible ways of improving your digestive health.
1. Drink plenty of water.Drinking plenty of water is a great way to enhance your digestive health. Firstly, water improves digestion by softening and breaking down foods thereby enhancing the efficiency of absorption of nutrients. Secondly, water makes the movement of bowl easier and also softens your stool. Drinking two to three liters of water per day is very essential; however, you should avoid drinking water either before or after a meal.
2. Eat more fiber.For healthy digestion, it’s recommended you incorporate a small portion of fiber into your diet. Generally speaking, the fiber consists of the indigestible portion of plant food such as vegetable, fruits, and some grains. Fiber occurs in two forms namely soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber helps to slow down digestion by attracting water and turning gel during digestion. Besides that, it lowers cholesterol thereby preventing heart disease. Insoluble fiber enhances bowel movements and also helps to combat constipation.
3. Drink yogurt daily.A healthy digestive system contains gut bacteria that helps to break down foods. Fermented dairy products such as yogurt help to replenish as well as to maintain balanced bacterial community by adding more healthy gut bacteria into your digestive system. Besides that, yogurt help prevents constipation, colds and flu, vaginal yeast infections, diarrhea and urinary tract infections.
4. Drink wine or beer periodically.Drinking a glass or wine or beer periodically has numerous health benefits. It improves digestion, boosts estrogen level, reduces bacterial infection and improves memory function. A recent research shows that red wine contains poly-phenol that is very healthy for your heart. However, drinking too much alcohol can be destructive to your health.
5. Avoid stress.Avoiding stress is yet another great way of improving your digestive health. A recent study showed that stress causes constipation, diarrhea, weight gain and also lowers your immune system leaving you prone to bacteria’s that causes ulcers.
6. Exercise regularly.Regular exercising is essential for your entire body as well as your digestive system. Exercises reduce stress, improves digestion and help to control your weight. Regular exercises such as yoga, baths, jogging and swimming releases endorphin thereby helping you to relax.
7. Avoid foods that irritate your digestive system.As a matter of precaution, it is advisable to determine and avoid foods that cause irritation to your digestive system. The most common types of foods that triggers stomach irritation include: Spicy foods Highly acidic foods such as coffee, tea, vinegar, citrus fruits and tomatoes Gassy foods, e.g., cabbage and beans
8. Change your eating habits and patternsChanging your eating habits as well as your eating pattern can help to improve your digestive health. Eating slowly gives your body more time to digest food and prevents you from eating too much. On the other hand, eating too fast can lead to overeating thereby jeopardizing digestion causing constipation as well as painful bloating.To avoid such cases, it is advisable to change your eating patterns .consider taking small frequent meals instead of only a few large ones since this will reduce acid re-flux as well as heartburn.
9. Consider adding supplements to your diet.Adding supplements to your diet is yet another great way of enhancing digestion. Supplements ensure that your are getting all essential nutrients and fiber and promotes healthy growth of gut bacteria thereby alleviating constipation. Besides that, some supplements such as try probiotics help to treat ulcers, diarrhea as well as irritable bowel syndrome. Also, supplements contain essential vitamins such as vitamin A, B, and C, which are very necessary for processing of proteins and carbohydrates as well as absorption of iron.
10. Seek medical intervention.In case you have tried all the above methods without fruitful results, it is advisable to seek medical advice. Symptoms of poor digestive health include; vomiting, severe heartburn, abdominal pain, bloody stool and sudden weight loss just to mention but a few. In case you notice such symptoms, you should consider seeing your doctor right way.
Conclusion In summary, it is clear that there are many methods of improving your digestive health. Some of these methods include drinking plenty of water, regular exercising and avoiding stress just to mention but a few. By following the above methods carefully, you will improve not only your digestion but also your entire digestive health.